Thursday, May 16, 2013

Perseverance


…We also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation
produces perseverance;
and perseverance, character;
and character, hope.

Romans 5:3-4 (NKJV)

According to Webster’s 1828 Dictionary, the word PERSEVERE is defined as:
To persist in any business or enterprise undertaken; to pursue steadily any design or course commenced; not to give over or abandon what is undertaken; applied alike to good and evil.



My niece, her family and some friends recently ran a 5K race.  Among the runners was her 10 year old son Drew, who is very athletic and was up for the challenge of the race.  Drew told me he thought it would be easier than it was.  The further along in the race he got, the harder it became.  He persevered through the fatigue and pain, staying focused on the finish line.  He had one goal in mind, to finish the race no matter what.  This young man placed 29th in the race out of over 250 participants.  This was not just in his age group, but overall placement for everyone running. 

Drew, his mom Shasta, & our friend Aley


Do you not know that those who run in a race all run,
but one receives the prize?
Run in such a way that you may obtain it.
 

1 Corinthians 9:24

The word PERSEVERE has been going through my mind all week.  As some of you may remember, I slipped on the ice some time ago and injured my ankle.  I was in an air boot for 5 weeks, followed by physical therapy.


Well….. pain sent me back to the doctor last week, and x-rays revealed a hairline fracture of my tibia bone, related to the ankle injury.  I’m back in the air boot. 

It feels like I was almost at the end of the “race” so to speak, and had to go back and start it over again.  I will continue to PERSEVERE as the alternative would be to quit, to give up.    

 




The instinct to persevere can even be found in many examples of God's creation.  Here's one below. 

A friend who was contemplating a decision recently wrote this to me: 

I took a walk down to the bridge near our house to vent and have a talk with God. Whenever I go down there I always feel a sense of wonder of God's creations and feel more in touch.



Well this time I saw over a hundred baby salmon or brook trout! It was amazing. They were all fighting the current and splashing around eating bugs. Some would get carried away by the current. This reminded me of how important it is to be strong and also gave me a notion that I made the right choice.



My friends, I don't claim to have the answers for why certain trials come on us, but I do know, no matter the trial, God's word is applicable to whatever situation you're facing.  

tribulations produce PERSEVERANCE
perseverance produces CHARACTER
character produces HOPE

This HOPE we have is security of eternal life with Jesus.  If you don't know Jesus as your personal Savior, and you want the HOPE that this verse speaks of... I'd encourage you to visit **here** another post here on this blog - Eternal Destination.



10 comments:

  1. I love this beautiful post, Little Birdie....it reminds me to keep my head up and trudge right along during this trying time of trying to sell our house. Thank you...

    Those little grands are so adorable...helping their Gran'ma...
    I do hope your fracture and ankle heal completely....and you can dance with those cutie boys. :))
    xo bj
    O and I am about to become your newest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh...a very good word, Abby. It is not easy to start over, as it were, from the beginning. I tend to fret and wail when it happens to me, which is why I have snagged the strawberry scripture. ☺ Our little Sam will have surgery soon to remove the pins and the brace lest he break his leg a third time. It's showing signs of stress again and that means it is time for that stuff to go. I am always amazed by a child's tenacity, which reminds me of the young runner you described. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you again Abby for the wonderful affirmations and scripture.

    Going back in the air boot could likely be a very frustrating thing. You have chosen to transform this into a message that only instigates perseverance, character and hope in your own life, but other's lives.

    This affirmation you've stated is so powerful. Some of the things I've faced over the years has definitely brought about a sense of character in relation to helping me to empathize with others in their struggles. If I had not have gone through these things, I would not have developed the empathy required from me to understand what it is like to be in their shoes. This is my personal lesson from God, for which I am thankful. Through these situations God is molding me into a more loving being and strengthening my character.

    Just a FYI, I've started to do some job hunting. I have come to the decision that this is a good thing for me, on many levels. One of the things that I find most rewarding is serving the community. I would definitely benefit from an environment which requires face to face interactions.

    Huge hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Abby, this post is very encouraging. And I love your pictures. God was speaking to me about the same thing for the past one week.
    So sorry about your ankle. I pray that it heals completely. I wasn't blogging for more than a month. But managed to read some of your beautiful posts.Specially one about Moms.I loved it. It inspired me so much..Thanks for the information and pictures about those wonderful moms. It blessed me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sweet Abby, this was beautiful and encouraging. I will have to read it to my mom as she is going through a very trying time right now.

    Good job to Drew - what a runner! :)

    Have a lovely weekend.

    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Abby I do hope you leg heals up quickly - what a character test you have. Praying for you.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perseverance is so important. I need to remember that because I get lazy and give up sometimes. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful post today. Through every trial,I have been made stronger. God is good and faithful in good times and bad.....I hope never to turn loose of his unchanging hand. Bless you sister,praying your leg is healed in the name of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abby,
    You are truly blessed that the tibia was just a hairline fracture. It could have been so much worse and maybe caused more damage to the leg/foot. I broke both my feet one year, thankfully not at the same time. The air boot is not pretty but is sure does take the pain away and allow mobility.
    It will heal.
    Thank you for posting with us at Word Art Wednesday. We really love seeing your super wonderful work and we appreciate you taking time to link it with us.
    Blessings,
    Carole Robb Bisson
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are such a blessing and encouragement to me. Sometimes, it's clear that God uses you to let me hear exactly what He knows I need to hear. You are a gift from God, and I praise Him for you, and for sending you into my life.
    Hugs,
    Karen
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.