Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Scripture Thursday ~ Wonderful Peace

click for larger size, free for personal use or sharing


Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication,
with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God;
and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding,
will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:6-7


Do not be anxious about anything......hmm, seems a little easier said than done. I know a thing or two about anxiety and through the years, God has helped me to “chill”.  To lean more on Him, than spending time worrying about what might happen.   There's a saying:

 Don't worry about tomorrow, God is already there.

click for larger size, free for personal use or sharing


God doesn't want us to clutter our minds with distracting thoughts that come about through life's difficulties. He wants us to PRAY, to give our anxiety over to him.

Worrying causes us to take our eyes off Him. Bringing EVERYTHING to him in prayer keeps our focus on Him. What do you think He means by saying EVERYTHING? Just like it sounds, EVERYTHING.

Be anxious about nothing. A popular hymn says: What a friend we have in Jesus, all our sins and griefs to bear, what a privilege to carry, everything to God in prayer.





How do we stop worrying? Only through prayer and trust in a loving God. By casting your care on Him, you set aside the cluttered noise, and enter into the peace of God.

Exchanging the bad habit of worrying with the good habit of trusting God, brings about the peace of God which surpasses understanding.

When anxiety comes, the best solution for me is to pray and reflect on this scripture.  I also pair it up with a hymn written in 1889 titled
Wonderful Peace
.  


click for larger size, free for personal use or sharing

Far away in the depths of my spirit tonight
Rolls a melody sweeter than psalm;
In celestial strains it unceasingly falls
O’er my soul like an infinite calm.


Chorus:
Peace! peace! wonderful peace,
Coming down from the Father above;
Sweep over my spirit forever, I pray,
In fathomless billows of love.


What a treasure I have in this wonderful peace,
Buried deep in the heart of my soul;
So secure that no power can mine it away,
While the years of eternity roll.



I hope this devotion has encouraged you to seek the peace that passes understanding.  Thank you to Pauline for sharing in my blog comments that Philippians 4:6-7 was one of her favorite passages.  She even has this scripture on a bracelet that she wears.  Thanks Pauline!

You can visit **here** to hear the Gaither's singing the chorus of this hymn. 

What are some of your favorite scriptures or hymns to combat anxiety? 

Have a wonderful week.



18 comments:

  1. "Cast all your anxiety upon Him for He cares for you." 1Peter 5:7

    Love your blog! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessing this post is! The images you are sharing Abby, are just delightful, and as always, your wise words are precious in His sight, to our ears. Thank you so much for sharing one of my favourite scriptures today.
    hugs and blessings,
    Pauline

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful graphics today Abby! Philippians 4:6-7 are some of my very, very favorite verses.

    I remember having to get an MRI once (I'm very claustrophobic) and reciting it over and over again while the procedure was going on. I truly felt His peace surround me.

    I loved the saying you shared and I will write it down and keep it near. What a blessing to know that He's already where I'll soon be...no worries needed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abby...what a great post. Thank you for the reassurance that peace comes from the one true God, whom we can trust with all our hearts. Love the hymn you shared. Blessings to you always dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Abby for this beautiful blessing, it has really encouraged me.
    I will be sharing this with a dear friend who is being sorely tested at the moment.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very timely and sensitively written post, thank you Abby! Such an encouraging word and thank you for the lovely hymn.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. What peace it brings to simply take our troubles to the Lord and leave them there!
    Lovely freebies, Abby -- as always I enjoy your posts and all your pretty images!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The VERY SONG you've posted is the song I like to sing, "Wonderful Peace!" :) I LOOOOOOOOOOOVE that song!!!!!!!!!!I catch myself singing it when I sink into the tub even! :) BEAUTIFUL IMAGES you've put up today Abby! THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A sweet old hymn that I remember singing long ago. Nice to have this reminder. Good words this Thursday for any Believer who has ever experienced anxiety or ever will. I enjoyed doing a Bible study on "casting" all our cares on Him...looking up the word and doing a study on the word was very helpful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. God's peace amazes me. Even when things around me are chaos, there's that peace that dwells, knowing that God is in control. Beautiful message of hope today, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is one of my fav passages! I remind myself of this one over and over again.
    Beautiful pictures on this site. I am looking forward to more posts as I am now following you :)

    (Found you on Blog Hop at Deep Roots at Home)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dear friend, this is exactly what I needed! I was so worried this morning about something and had to continually take it to the Lord. What you wrote reinforced what God had been trying to show me - thank you!

    Hugs,
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your sweet images are always a treat for my eyes, and your wise words are always like food for my soul. I praise God for you, Miss Abby. May He bless you as you continnue to share the truths He lays on your heart. Thanks for sharing with us!
    With love,
    karen
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. The title alone of this song - WONDERFUL PEACE - gives me encouragement and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't it great to know we have a God who WANTS us to depend upon Him~

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I just came across this site and I'M
    IN LOVE.... seriously this is what I have been looking for I want to Decoupage with this type of art!!
    Kath

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry I forgot to mention how much I love the Lord with all my Heart ,thank you for what you do to spread the word .

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes Ashley it most certainly is someday I will be with Him just imagine !!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.