Monday, April 25, 2011

My Beautiful Church

I'm so thankful I was able to be in church for Easter Sunday.  It was so important for me to be there on one of the most important holidays of the year to me.  The church I attend is nestled on a hill, in a little fishing village in Maine and was built in 1842.  The stained glass windows in the sanctuary are just beautiful.  The largest of the windows stands 16 feet high and 9 feet wide.  It depicts the woman of Samaria approaching the Savior with her water pitcher.  The scripture in the window is from John 4:14   But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.

This magnificent window was brought to our town by a ship's captain, Samuel Watts,  who purchased it in Italy and presented it to the church in memory of his parents.  Captain Watts also donated the church bell in 1879, which suspends from a tower 74 feet high.  I can remember pulling the bell rope and riding up with the rope when I was a little girl.  Here's a glimpse of the window for you.



There are more of our beautiful windows below.  I was experimenting with a flash vs. no flash.  Let me know your opinion.  I noticed when I used a flash, the soldering on the stained glass showed up vividly.  When I didn't use a flash, the soldering appeared black.  I have a preference, but would love to hear what you think of it.

Stained Glass Window with Flash

Stained Glass Window with no Flash
Flash Used

no flash

Flash Used
No Flash, notice the colors look different

That's it for my flash experiment, would love to hear your opinion.  I heard recently from a professional photographer to let what natural light you have work for you whenever you can.  These next pictures are various shots inside the sanctuary.  No flash experiment here, just wanted to show you the beauty of our church. 

Notice the light in the center, it's original to the church, from the 1800's. 
A converted oil lamp.

 


Pipe Organ
Close up of light globe ~  there are numerous of these suspended from the ceiling



My daughter, son-in-law, and little grandbabies Easter Sunday
I hope you've enjoyed these pictures.  This church is very dear to me.  I've been attending from the time I was a young child.  I started playing the piano in church when I was a teenager, and have been playing ever since.  Ten years ago, my husband became the pastor of this church.  We have a wonderful congregation, a group of people that we love dearly.  Thanks for stopping by today.  I hope you have a blessed Monday.

6 comments:

  1. Love the pics with no flash. The stained glass looked more beautiful that way. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my!! What a beautiful church! When I get out that way someday, I would love a tour! What a place to celebrate Easter! I like the no flash by the way... We had a glorious Easter with church, family and of course the Easter ham. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful church! The old ones have so much more character than the new ones. I like the photos without the flash. How about you? Thanks for becoming a follower of mine. I will follow you too. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful window and church! I'm gonna be different - I actually like the photos with flash. I like the detail. How you must enjoy your sweetie grandbabies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Dear Sweet Abby, thank you for sharing this beautiful church with us! I love it! Older churches have so much symbolism in them. I took humanity classes that focused on the different architectural aspects of old churches and what they mean. This is beautiful.

    I like the flash photos on some and not on others...sorry. The windows are amazing...stunning! I wish there was a photo of you at the piano! Your family photo is wonderful...so much action in it!

    Thank you again for sharing! Do you know if we are allowed to copy the windows to use on the front of cards? I don't know the rule on that.

    He IS Able,
    Traci S.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness what a BEAUTIFUL church!! The scripture is beautiful as well. I *love* the typography in the large view. How neat that the window came all the way from Italy.

    I like the first picture with the flash better than the no flash. It shows more detail in my opinion. The other pictures I can't tell which ones I like better! :)

    Wow, I'm still in awe. Your church is SO pretty! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful part of your life. I really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.