Wednesday, January 12, 2022

A Hymn Story - Moment by Moment - free graphic

 Be strong and of a good courage;
be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed: 
for the Lord thy God is with thee 
whithersoever thou goest. 
Johsua 1:9


A hymn of encouragement for those (as the song says) with trials, burdens, sorrows, heartaches, tears, danger, weakness, and sickness that points us to our God who moment by moment, keeps us in His love. 

free for personal or ministry use


This hymn Moment by Moment was written by Daniel Whittle (1840-1901). While attending the World's Fair in Chicago, he heard a pastor remark he needed God every moment of the day. This prompted Whittle to pen the lyrics to the hymn. His daughter May Whittle Moody (wife of D.L.Moody's son), composed the music.

Whittle offered Ira Sankey (American gospel singer and composer, associated with evangelist D.L. Moody) copyright of both words and music if he'd have 500 copies printed on fine paper. Whittle distributed these to his friends. Sankey had the hymn published and it became very popular in England as well as a favorite of Andrew Murray, a South African writer, teacher and Pastor.

Did you see how God works in this little hymn story? A man went to the fair; heard a remark; wrote words based on that remark, gave to his daughter who wrote music for it, daughter happened to be married to an evangelist's son. Evangelist happened to have a singer and composer who could get the song copied and published, which ended up in the hands of a well known writer, pastor and teacher.

I wonder how many people this hymn has encouraged?? Probably millions. There are no coincidences with God. When we're faithful to what He prompts us to do, we are part of a bigger plan . . the full extent known only to Him. 

MOMENT BY MOMENT

Dying with Jesus, by death reckoned mine;

Living with Jesus, a new life divine;
Looking to Jesus till glory doth shine,
Moment by moment, O Lord, I am Thine.

Refrain:
Moment by moment I’m kept in His love;
Moment by moment I’ve life from above;
Looking to Jesus till glory doth shine;
Moment by moment, O Lord, I am Thine.

Never a trial that He is not there,
Never a burden that He doth not bear,
Never a sorrow that He doth not share,
Moment by moment, I’m under His care.

Never a heartache, and never a groan,
Never a teardrop, and never a moan;
Never a danger but there on the throne,
Moment by moment He thinks of His own.

Never a weakness that He doth not feel,
Never a sickness that He cannot heal;
Moment by moment, in woe or in weal,
Jesus my Savior abides with me still.




I hope you've enjoyed this hymn story and in some way it has encouraged you. Have a blessed week.


7 comments:

  1. Yes, I did enjoy the story, which I had not known before. This melody is well known to me and I was able to sing along. I especially relate to the verse before the last: "Never a heartache, and never a groan."

    Always lovely to find you home! 🙋🏻‍♀️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Abby. Yes, there is no such thing as coincidence and no end to what God can do with our efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Abby - this is a wonderful hymn, with God given and inspiring words. Loving the backstory to it too
    Stay safe
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just what I needed today Abby. No coincidence. I love these old hymns so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the background story to how this hymn was written and published. It is very encouraging how the Lord works!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful hymn story and a heartfelt reminder of God's faithfulness in every moment! Thank you for sharing this inspiring piece on your blog. It truly touched my soul.
    Regarding the question how much money to give for college graduation gift 2023!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.