Friday, June 17, 2011

Down to the Sea in Ships

Free Vintage Schooner Graphic
They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.  For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof.  They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble.  They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wit's end. Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses.  He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still.   Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven. Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!  Psalm 107:23-31

Free Vintage Schooner Image
I live in a small fishing community where most of the residents make their living off the water in one way or another.  This is a familiar passage of scripture with the people in my area.  I am posting it in honor of Father's Day.  Although my dad's main occupation was construction, there was a time he made his living off the sea and was happiest there.  He departed this world for Glory Land ten years ago and I miss him dearly.  There are so many things I want to tell him that have happened since he's been gone.  However, I know his stories since he's been gone would be FAR more interesting than mine.  


Free Vintage Postcard

My husband is a fisherman and is so happy and content when he is on the water.  He can testify that the "works of the Lord" are evident in a mighty way and "his wonders in the deep" are beyond comprehension.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.  


I hope you've enjoyed this post and the images I'm sharing with you today.  I've posted the Father's postcard before, but thought it appropriate to bring it out again.

Today is my Friday Blog Giveaway.  My husband draws every Friday evening around 8:00 p.m. EST and a winner is announced by Saturday morning.  Click on this link to see how you can enter.  Free Friday Blog Giveaway

Blessings to all of you today.  

4 comments:

  1. Hi Abby, thank you for sharing your story and the images. They're beautiful. Although I have only met my earthly dad once I am so very thankful that I know my Father in heaven. Since my walk with him in 2003 he's always been true to His word and has never left me. I look forward to the day when I can wrap my arms around His neck and thank Him for everything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Abby! I'm so happy to have stumbled upon your blog! I shall be an enthusiastic follower! Your sailing ship and Father's Day images are lovely - I may just have to use them in my own tribute post for my dad - a Navy man who has always loved the sea. I also was blessed by your Bible Verse Thursday selection - my life verse. I shall be sure my site links to yours featuring such lovely blessings! Do visit me at The Writer's Reverie. Joy!
    Miss Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the nautical images! My father was a sailor, and he'll enjoy seeing these too. Thanks for another great post. Have a super weekend :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.