Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Scripture Thursday ~ The Seasons


For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth;
 the time of the singing of birds is come,
and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land.
Song of Solomon 2:11,12

free for personal use

It’s official, SPRING has SPRUNG.  I think my little corner of Maine, is the very last place for flowers to show their faces.  I do have some flowers blooming, but it may be another month before the lilacs bloom.  

Although it was a mild winter for us, I still longed for Spring.  It’s awesome to me, that God controls the seasons and how every aspect of nature is interwoven.  (…he changeth the times and the seasons.  Daniel 2:21)

I certainly don’t think it’s a coincidence that He chose to have Spring follow Winter.  Maine winters are usually long and cold.  Towards the end of winter when the snow has melted; everything is brown and drab.  There are no leaves on the trees, the grass is brown, and nature is somewhat lifeless.  Then, almost without warning the grass turns green, buds appear on the trees, and flowers poke their heads up out of the ground - as evidenced by the daisies in my friend Diane's garden. 


free for personal use

 Spring is a rebirth of nature, a time of new beginnings.  I am in awe of God's power, which is evidenced through the creation.    As I thought about the miracle of the seasons of nature, and the life seasons that we personally experience, I was reminded of the hymn GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS.  

free hymn printable

 No matter the situation, or the trial - for those who put their trust in Him, God is ABSOLUTELY FAITHFUL to us.  He’s NEVER CHANGING; He will not fail us; every new day He provides for us (see Lamentations 3:22-23).
My favorite line of this hymn - STRENGTH FOR TODAY and BRIGHT HOPE FOR TOMORROW.   A promise I cling to.  

GREAT IS THY FAITHFULNESS
Thomas O. Chisholm, 1923


Great is Thy faithfulness, O God my Father;
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not;
As Thou hast been, Thou forever will be.

Summer and winter and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.


free for personal use

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!


Great is Thy faithfulness!
Great is Thy faithfulness!
Morning by morning new mercies I see.
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided;

Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me!


Thanks so much for visiting and commenting.  You are all appreciated by me.  ~ Abby

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Dear. I love Spring too. Blessings ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abby

    Sorry not been along for a few weeks. Time today however.

    Love your post (Great is God's Faithfulness indeed).

    Praise Him

    Wendy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank yo for the images Abby - I love that hymn too!!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS ESTHER!!!!!!!!!!!:)

    BEAUTIFUL POST today Abby!!!!!!! I've ALWAYS LOVED that hymn too!!!!!!!(There's NOTHING LIKE the old hymns! The words are SO DEEP & FULL! ) Thanks Abby!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Abby for your lovely thoughts today about winter into spring and God's great faithfulness. Such a lovely hymn and thanks for the chance to the use the image. Love and God Bless, Trish x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Abby, Love your share for today. Thanks for the hymn. I'm taking a little break from creating. Hope to be back soon. Joyous Wishes, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring is near the top of my favorite list...I found myself thanking God for the color green this year as I drove along looking at all the new, green growth. It makes me think of the new life God gives us, and reminds me that we need to be growing to be more like Him every day. Beautiful post....and so excited to have won the Word Art Scriptures this week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the verses on Spring. Also for the pretty things you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've featured one of my very favorite hymns and I am surprised to learn that it was written as recently as 1923. I might have guessed a much earlier time.

    Lovely graphics as always and congrats to your winner. I think I'll go follow your link.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just what I needed today, and I thank you. God's faithfulness is great and I never want to take it for granted, as it's what gets me through. I praise Him in times like this when I'm hurting physically AND when I'm on top of my game. It's ALL because of Him.
    Have a blessed week, my friend.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you again, Abby, for your words of encouragement through the scriptures. Great is Thy Faithfulness has always been one hymn that has been near and dear to my heart. I was "singing" it as I read throught it...so comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Praise God that He is faithful! Thank you so much for sharing, your artwork is fabulous and your encouragement is priceless! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my, all my favorites today, from the hymn to the verses to the daisies. The time of singing has come indeed! ;)
    Thank you, Abby, and congratulations to Esther.
    Love and blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Abby, Yes God is indeed faithful! We will never be disappointed if we put our hope in Him! I love your link party! Patsy from
    HeARTworks

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for you beautiful words, creations, and the opportunity to link up to your party. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amen and amen!! Great is His faithfulness and His mercies are new every morning . . thanks for the encouraging post, sweet Abby and for the beautiful art work! You are such a blessing! Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful post, Abby! One of my all-time favorite hymns! So full of blessings! Thank you for sharing...and for the lovely images, as well! Have a beautiful day!...Nancy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. God is faithful no matter what is going on in your life or the world. How often do we forget this truth. In a changing world God is the same, there is no turning with Him. You can trust God to keep His promises as He is the same forever. Great is His faithfulness !!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.