Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Love Came Down at Christmas



Love came down at Christmas,
Love all lovely, love divine;
Love was born at Christmas,
Star and angels gave the sign.

Worship we the Godhead,
Love incarnate, love divine;
Worship we our Jesus:
But wherewith for sacred sign?

Love shall be our token,
Love shall be yours and love be mine,
Love to God and to all men,
Love for plea and gift and sign.
~ Christina Georgina Rossetti  ~ 
1885

Christina Rossetti

This was originally published as a Christmas poem without a title in the book Time Flies: A Reading Diary in 1885.  It was later published in 1893 with the title, Christmastide.   Christina was an English Poet who wrote a variety of romantic, devotional, and children's poems.  This particular poem was set to music by a variety of composers.  


And we have known and believed 
the love that God hath to us. 
God is love; 
and he that dwelleth in love 
dwelleth in God, and God in him.
1 John 4:16

A simple poem, with a huge message.  
Love Came Down at Christmas
God IS Love 
He is the Perfect Definition of Love


Here is a link to a video of a beautiful rendition of this Christmas Carol.  I could listen to it over and over and never tire of it.  Very moving!  


Thanks for visiting today.  I hope you have been encouraged as much as I have by the message in this song.



6 comments:

  1. Good morning, dear Abby. Thank you for sharing this beautiful and precious message - my heart was blessed, sweet friend.

    I have not heard this song before so thank you for the link - I am listening to it right now and it's simply lovely!

    May you have a joyous Christmas with your loved ones. Love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Abby for this reminder! I LOOOOOVE THIS SONG!!!!!!!! This song tells it ALL, doesn't it? HOPE you & yours have a VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Abby - love this song, and the music it is set to. Thankfully Christmas here will be a quiet day after the rush and bustle of the family situation over the past few weeks!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed listening to this music...I am unfamiliar with the song and it is a very good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that song. It so touched me when you shared it last Christmas and it still moves me.

    Have a blessed Christmas today.

    Hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.