Thursday, May 28, 2015

A Very Special Young Man

Jon with his Dad

My husband and I were visited by a friend and his teenage son Jon.  Jon has Down’s Syndrome and his dad has cancer.  They are best buds.  Jon very proudly told us that he asked Jesus into his heart and his dad baptized him.  He spoke in front of his church and at his brother’s college about what Jesus has done in his life.  

I recently observed a friend’s little girl coloring a picture. With a white crayon in her hand, she attempted to color with it.  Seeing no results, she tried again, still no results. She looked up and said “this one doesn’t work” and put it back in with the others. As we know, children perceive things very differently from adults.  The white crayons really do work; they just work in a different way.


While Jon was talking to us with his dad, I was reminded of the white crayon and the little girl saying “this one doesn’t work”.  A lot of people would look at Jon and say, he’s different, he doesn’t work like us, there’s so much he can’t do. But you know, Jon is a “white crayon” and God has made him special for a reason.  

At this season of his life he’s a helper for his dad, his mother and siblings, a blessing to everyone who knows him, and a prayer warrior.  He told me “I pray for my dad everyday”.  His dad shared that Jon tunes in on the needs of others and remembers them in his prayers.  Jon also has a strong desire to tell others about Jesus.  This young man has a genuine award winning smile that can light up any room he is in.
Society may label Jon as “special needs”, I would call Jon “special”, I know Jesus does as He made Jon just the way He wanted him to be.
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
Psalm 139:13,14,16

Update: Jon's dad went home to be with his Lord and Savior in October, 2017. Jon proudly spoke from his heart at his dad's service. He shared with everyone there all the things his dad had taught him. It was very moving.

This post may be linked to one or more of the following:
Tell His Story
The Art of Home-making MondaysMondays MusingsRoses of InspirationGrowing in Grace ThursdaysWord Art WednesdaysCounting My BlessingsFellowship Friday, Wednesday's Prayer Girls

16 comments:

  1. What a blessing Jon is! His dad must be so proud of him every day. I will be adding my prayers to Jon's for his dad.
    My daughter recently lost a baby at 24 weeks who had Down's Syndrome. She had already decided to keep the baby, which was strange to a lot of people. So many people questioned her decision as it is 'so easy' nowadays to 'fix' such a problem. I was shocked by just how many people only saw this baby as a problem to be done away with. Stories like yours about Jon show me just what a blessing these special people can be. God does not make mistakes, just white crayons!
    Thank you for this moving tribute to Jon and his dad and I will be praying for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To have a personal prayer warrior is a great blessing! I like the white crayon analogy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing Jon's story. I have prayed for his dad for eradication of the cancer from his cancer and completely restored health.
    Hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Abbey for sharing this with us today and your analogy of the white crayon, this was indeed a special post. I will pray with Jon for his dad and his family, my husband went through a cancer battle a few years ago too, and he is alive and very well!
    Thank you for sharing this very moving post.
    Hugs,
    Ginny Maxam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Abby, thank you for introducing Jon and his Dad to all of us! I've just stopped to pray for these precious men. Please tell Jon that Jesus has given him a beautiful smile and a wonderful boldness for sharing Jesus with others.
    Hugs,
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this beautiful family's story. I'm adding Jon's dad to my prayer list immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jon, I will be praying every day that your dad will be healed. Keep praying and be strong for him. I know your dad is very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Abby, what a precious, precious post! It is truly a joy to "meet" Jon and his dad through your post and it would be a blessing to pray for Jon's dad.

    Thank you, my friend, for sharing this with Roses of Inspiration. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi there!

    As a card maker/paper crafter. I often love to use watercolored backgrounds and love the unique unpredictability it achieves. I ofter start with a clear ink and use it as the base to which I build upon. The clear ink is not easily seen. You can if you tilt it and try to find the glare in the light. However when the flood of water and drops of pigments are added, it is only then that the image appears and beauty of what the artist intended is revealed. This is called a resist technique. How interesting, we as a society tend to resist anything or anyone that is different.

    I have 3 daughters and my middle daughter is now 13 and she is special. There is nothing in life that can prepare you for the life that is thrown at you and there are many days that I sometimes feel that I can be crushed under the wieight of the trials we face.

    Thank you for sharing Jon with us. This has been such an encouragment of hope for me.

    It would be an honor to join Jon in prayers for his dad.

    Blessings,
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Valerie, for praying for Jon's dad. What a beautiful story you told about the watercolors. Praying for you as well. ~ Abby

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a true blessing Jon is for his Dad, Family and any one who knows him :) I know all these types of children can be very affectionate as I've worked with this type of Special Child in the past -
    God Bless you Jon and yes we'll pray for your Dad.
    Blessings and Hugs, Jemima (Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a beautiful post, Abby about 2 beautiful people. Thank heavens for the Jons of this world that teach us so much and are living examples of a childlike trust in God. Jon is so full of God's love and I join you and him in praying for his dad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jon is a very special angel from God. He was put on this beautiful earth to give others joy, love and happiness. He is also asked by Jesus to carry on his work while he tends to other matters. I pray for Jon's DAD and with all my heart and soul hope he beats that dreadful disease. God Bless them both.

    Jackie (Wichita KS). Hugs nd Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a special blessing Jon is to everyone around him...and all who read his story. Being a retired early childhood teacher, I do love the White Crayon analogy .... Thank you for sharing this....I will be honored to join with Jon in prayer....may blessing abound a 1000 fold in Jon's life and in the lives of his family! amen

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful story and beautiful people! Please tell Jon I'm praying for his dad too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would be honored to join the prayer for Jon's Dad and also for Valerie and her daughter.
    We may be flung to the far winds, but we can all join our hearts for a common cause.
    Thank you for sharing Jon....he is indeed special!
    Blessings,
    J

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.