Friday, September 17, 2010

Sew Sew Sew

I learned to sew when I was in Jr. High School from my Home Ec. teacher.  I can still hear her voice "don't drop the presser foot", "no speeding", "only use dual duty thread", "you're going to have to take the seam out".  She would walk around the room behind us while the hum of the old sewing machines sounded.  Each year we would make a garment of our choice and have a fashion show in the spring with our new outfits.  We proudly walked out modeling what we had made while a classmate would give a little commentary on the details.  "Here comes Abby in her new corduroy jumper......."   Well  I'm not making corduroy jumpers anymore, but those days in Jr. High paved the way to a lifelong love of sewing.   My mother and sisters all sew as well.  


Here is a small wallet I made using a vintage quilt square.  I lined it with muslin, sewed a vintage button on the outside, and made a velcro closure on the inside.  I top-stitched the outside using an embroidery stitch on my machine.  Tip.  Sew your velcro in place before stiching up the sides or sewing on the button.

This bag was made for a dear friend of mine who loves the color purple.  I made it from a vintage bedspread.  It's lined on the inside with a cotton floral print.  There is a pocket inside the bag and it is reinforced with iron on interfacing to allow it to stand.  The corners are boxed and there is a slight taper from the top to the bottom of the bag.  I also made a cardboard insert for the bottom of the bag and covered it with matching fabric of the outside of the bag.

When I make the bottom of my bags, I cut the cardboard (I use matboard) to the appropriate size, and make a pillowcase type covering for it by sewing up three sides and turn.  Leave one of the short ends open.  Tuck the raw edges inside and zig zag the outside edge to finish.  These bottoms make a nice finishing touch to bags, and is shows you care about the person you're making it for.

5 comments:

  1. Abby - I love this little purple bag - very cute... you have inspired me to try and get some sewing done in my free time! I do have a little tip to share with you, when I am making bags, I, too, always finish the bottom, but I use a piece of plastic canvas - makes the bag be washable - discovered this making a lunch bag for my oldest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, I clicked here into comments to mention the same thing as bluedogdesign. too funny.. I could have cut and pasted, because I too wanted to say this bag inspires me to get some done. I have collected several pattern styles over the last year and have some great fabric to use. I better get busy! I love your blog BTW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abby~

    You are so blessed to know how to sew. I was fortunate that I learned to sew buttons onto shirts. Of course, now, I only use them to sew buttons onto cards! LOL

    This bag is FANTASTIC!!!!

    Thank you for sharing it!

    Remember~
    He IS Able,
    Traci S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet! Read your article here as a result of the one posted on 9-19-14.
    You are a treasure, Abby!!! I'm so thankful I got to meet you through Etsy.
    Blessings and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ah so true Abby what we learnt back the walks with us throughout our lives, Shaz in Oz.x

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.