Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Vintage Postcard Freebie


Here's another vintage postcard freebie for you.  Click on the image for a larger size.  The postcard is from my personal collection.  I digitally added the border, and had to change the reference as it was printed incorrectly all those years ago. The scripture is from Matthew 6:33  Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his Righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you. 

I thought I'd dig a little deeper into this scripture and find that Matthew 6:25-34 is about worrying, or rather not worrying.  Who of us couldn't use a little help in that area from time to time, I know I sure could.  

The scripture on this postcard instructs us to seek God's kingdom and righteousness FIRST, and all those things will be added unto you.  What are all those things?  They can be found in verses 25 and 31 of that passage.  God tells us:  do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?
We are also instructed in verse 31 not to worry about food, drink and clothes, repeating what was told to us in verse 25.  HE will take care of us, just like he does the birds of the air (verse 26) and the lilies of the field (verse 28).  This passage closes with God instructing us not to worry about tomorrow.  

My husband has a very laid back personality, if I would ask him a question about the following week or a few days ahead of time, he'd always respond that we hadn't even gotten through today.  Sometimes he said it jokingly, sometimes not.  I could always tell.  Over the years, I'm a lot more like that than I used to be.  Obviously there are some things that need to be planned, but I perceive through this passage that we are not to fret, stress, worry, lose sleep, or have anxiety about things that haven't even happened yet.  Lots of energy gets wasted.  If I could view the mental energy I've wasted over the years by worrying, I'd have a mountain to look at.  Thankfully and prayerfully, my mountain of worry doesn't grow as fast as it used to.  Seek ye first the kingdom of God.... by doing this He'll relieve us of unnecessary worry. 

I hope and pray this passage of scripture will be as meaningful and helpful to you as it has been to me.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Abby~

    What a great Chapter to focus on! I love this section of the Bible. I often need to read it over and over...but I know that it is true. He will take away my concerns...I picture myself putting my worries in His hand, and not trying to grab it back for me to handle. I always feel better if I let Him hold it for me.

    Your post card is beautiful! I love those flowers...and the Scripture of course is perfect. It is His. That makes it perfect.

    I appreciate your writing these posts and sharing your incredible art with us...for free! How generous you are!

    Remember~
    He IS Able!
    Traci S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful bookmarker this would make.
    Thank U
    ColleenB.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.