Thursday, December 22, 2011

Scripture Thursday Linky Party #8 ~ Guest Post

Verily I say unto you, 
Inasmuch as ye have done it 
unto one of the least of these my brethren, 
ye have done it unto me. 
Matthew 25:40

I am so excited to have a guest post today by my sweet friend Esther from Shoregirl's Creations.  Please check out her blog when you have time.  You'll definitely be inspired by all her projects, tutorials and recipes.   

When I think of the Proverbs 31 woman, I think of Esther.  Not only is she capable in so many different crafty venues, she's a pastor's wife, an excellent home-maker and home-schools her daughter.  She has a homeschooling blog
2 Love Learning as well with lots of good ideas for teaching children, even if you don't home-school.  When Esther and I met through our blogs we became fast friends.  

 
Compliments of The Feathered Nest
Here is Esther's guest post in her own words:

A Christmas Present for Jesus

Say the word "Christmas" and what pops into the mind of most children (and adults!)? 

Trees, Lights, Cookies, Caroling, Programs, and probably GIFTS!

There's nothing wrong with any of these things, especially when we use them to celebrate the greatest gift ever given -- Jesus!

Over the years I've heard people make the statement "It doesn't seem right that we give gifts to everyone but Jesus at Christmas time," and that got me to thinking -- "What would Jesus want for Christmas."

Almost as soon as I thought it this verse to came to mind:

"Verily I say unto you, 
Inasmuch as ye have done it 
unto one of the least of these my brethren, 
ye have done it unto me." 
(Matthew 25:40)

Compliments of Bumble Buttons
I try to live this verse out all year long......but at Christmas our family has started taking special note of those hurting around us. We've begun the tradition of finding one or two people each year to give to who might otherwise not have a very nice holiday or have a need of some kind....kind of like our "Christmas present to Jesus."

Sometimes it's:
  • a young family whose had a rough year because the husband had an unexpected stroke and has been unable to work all year
  • a man whose family left him and now he's alone and forgotten on Christmas
  • a Navy friend who needs a "family away from home" to spend the holiday with
  • a young person with not a lot of people to care about him in his life
  • an older person in the rest home with no family coming to visit and no gifts on Christmas day
  • or a family who is really struggling because of the downturn in our economy
Our gift may be money, sometimes it's items we know they need or would like, a Christmas meal and a shared afternoon, and on some occasions we've left our gifts under the tree and went to the nursing home to visit and bring gifts to a resident we've gotten to know.

Abby's Scripture Thursday Project
Bird graphic compliments of The Feathered Nest
Background paper by Raspberry Road Designs

Whatever the case - I think it's almost more of a blessing to us than to the recipient -- especially when it's done with the thought of giving to the One whose birth we celebrate.

A few "Christmas presents to Jesus" that I've been privileged to observe this year were:

1. A retired couple from church who offered to purchase and pack all the Christmas treats for our church this year -- anonymously!!

2. A sweet friend (and the author of this blog) who wrote up a prayer request list and sent it to her special friends. Included on the list where those in her community who would be hurting for one reason or another this Christmas! What a gift! The gift of love, concern, and prayer!

3. A young couple who volunteered to "do anything you want" for our Christmas program. No one knows (unless you've been there) how much this means to a Christmas program coordinator!

4. A neighbor (and friend) who invited my daughter and I to share in their Christmas family baking day ---- so fun and especially nice since we don't live near enough to family to be a part of one with "blood relatives."

5. A generous friend who shops for and packs beautifully all the gifts for our Christmas caroling each and every year. Often using her own money when not enough comes in from the church people. She's the world's best at entertaining in her home (it's not the dishes she uses, the candles she lights, or her beautiful home, but it's her servant's heart and ability to make one feel loved and special on each visit!) She uses her gifts to bless us and others year round -- one of those occasions is after Christmas caroling!

Compliments of the Feathered Nest
The list really could go on and on,but you get the idea: It doesn't take a lot of money to give most of these gifts! 

Any gift, given with love from the heart, is the perfect "Christmas present for Jesus."



Thank you Esther for your willingness to share today and for your giving heart.  This is a scripture linky party.  You may link up any project you've been working on that has scripture from the Bible.  Email me with any questions at Little Birdie Blessings




 

5 comments:

  1. Oh my, Abby, that's a lot to live up to! Thank you for your kind words and your giving heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post, ladies! I believe the Lord would say to you both "well done!" God bless you both for such giving and compassionate hearts. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and inspiring! Merry Christmas to both of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Abby! I haven't forgotten about you. I'm sorry I haven't entered in a while. When I say "My Cup Runneth Over", I mean it in so many ways. I am blessed beyond what I deserve, but I am working hard as well. I am SO SUPER GLAD that you are playing along at Word Art Wednesday, and SO GLAD you won! I hope you will continue to enter the challenges each week and show your beautiful art that displays your love for our precious Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Hope to chat with you soon!
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful Blessings ~ * I like your lists and the reason behind them.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.