Friday, January 20, 2012

More About Hymns

On dark days when the only song
we feel like singing is a dirge, we can pray,

"Let the music of thy promises be on my tongue"
(Psalm 119:172).  

 
The promises of God will lift me right out of sad sentimentality
and put music in my mouth if I will think steadily on them. 
Let the promise be the song you sing. 
 He will hear it and make it true for you. 
-- Elisabeth Elliot
Free Printable Hymn
Sunshine in the Soul 

Hello my friends.  I guess you've figured out by now that I have a thing for the old hymns.  With good reason!!  I have a few more to share with you today and want to also share a couple of sites with you about hymns.  

Have you ever heard of cyberhymnal?  This is a fantastic site that has thousands of hymns listed and searchable in various forms.  You can find a little history on the hymn, read the lyrics, and hear the tune if you choose. 

Click below to view


I am gathering free pintable hymns on one of my pinterest boards.   There does not seem to be a lot available.   So.... I'll try to regularly add some from my collection of old hymnbooks.  

Click here to view my 

Here's another free printable hymn for you:
What a Friend we have in Jesus


Patter from TRIPLE THE SCRAPS has an excellent hymn challenge which she offers every other Sunday throughout this year.  You can click on the link below to find out more about this.  Even if you don't participate in the challenge you can read her posts and learn the history of many of the old hymns.  Thanks Patter for offering this on your blog. 



Here's one more freebie hymn for you today. 
A Shelter in the Time of Storm





THANK YOU so much for visiting here today.  Your comments warm my heart and are a great encouragement to me to keep persevering. 

12 comments:

  1. I love the old hymns also. They are very special. Thank you for the printables.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abby, I too LOVE old hymns. I am sure you knew that already though. :) So sweet of you to offer printables and a link to my challenge. I will link your pinterest board in my next posting. I am sure many would love to have access to your printables. Thanks for the work you put into this! Blessing to you sweet friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a wonderful hymn site - I will check that out. I love reading your blog - always uplifting. Abby, for another blessing, pop on over to A Gathering Place blog. Rebecca's post today is the perfect example of how good God is! Always love to visit you and Rebecca. A great start to my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I love this old quilt background on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love using hymns in my crafting -- thanks so much for hunting for them and making them available to us! So sweet of you to share!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never used a hymn in a layout, but, you have inspired me to do so here. Thanks for these printables! I also loved searching for my oldest favorite hymns--I am 68 this month--in the cyber link! Thanks, too, for that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These hymns are so cool! I am going to print them out and take them to my mom's house. She has stacks of hymnal books. She and I used to sing together at church all of the time, and were involved in at least two choirs when I was a young one. Singing with my mom is one of the fondest memories I have from childhood.

    Thanks so much for sharing! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. encouraging post and blog...im following now..God bless you friend...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, dear Abbey,for these beautiful hymns. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Greetings from Wordwise Hymns. Great to read of your love for our old hymns and gospel songs. I've written about over a thousand of them on my blog, and have had visits from more than 153,000 people from all over the world. (Many share your love of the great hymns of the faith.)

    I encourage you to drop by my site, where I share about these songs. For instance, do you know the story behind Eliza Hewitt's "Sunshine in My Soul" that you posted? You can learn about it here (second item on the page)...
    http://wordwisehymns.com/2010/04/24/today-in-1813-james-chadwick-born/

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love these old hymns! Going to spend some time now enjoying your beautiful blog!=)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love music so much, it draws me near to God when I become weary

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.