Wednesday, February 22, 2012

An Overwhelmed Heart

From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee,
when my heart is overwhelmed:
 lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
 I will abide in thy tabernacle for ever:
 I will trust in the covert of thy wings.
Psalm 61:2,4

Hello my friends, and welcome to another Scripture Thursday.  The verse I chose this week, Psalm 61:2,4 happens to be a passage of scripture my sweet friend Darlene clings to.  You may remember that I’ve asked for prayer before for Luke who has a malignant brain tumor.  I dedicate this Scripture Thursday to Darlene, Luke’s mom.   Here is a picture of them together at the beach.

My friend Darlene, and her son Luke
  

In her own words, Darlene says:  

Psalm 61:2,4 kept me sane over the last 8 months while Luke was so sick.  When I would dwell on the cancer and found it difficult to think about anything else, the Lord would bring me back to Him with this verse.  Luke is doing much better.  The tumor is mostly gone.  This type of tumor, they tell me does not disappear – but I choose to trust in the Lord and also believe in miracles.  He has drawn me so much closer to Him during these very difficult times and I know that I can conquer anything with Him in my life.  Yesterday, I prayed, Lord, I find it difficult to be thankful for Luke’s cancer, but I can thank you for the reason behind it. 

Her life hymn is
Living for Jesus
Here is the first verse and chorus of that hymn written in 1917.

Living for Jesus, a life that is true,
Striving to please Him in all that I do;
Yielding allegiance, glad hearted and free,
This is the pathway of blessing for me.

O Jesus, Lord and Savior, I give myself to Thee,
For Thou, in Thy atonement, didst give Thyself for me.
I own no other Master, my heart shall be Thy throne.
My life I give, henceforth to live, O Christ, for Thee alone.

Darlene is an example to me and so many others with her strong faith and strength.  She knows what it is like to have a heart that is overwhelmed.  Just recently her mother had a stroke and underwent surgery on her brain to save her life.   Despite all of Darlene’s circumstances I have never seen her faith waver, and in fact have seen it grow stronger. 

She was visiting the other day and we were talking about her favorite verse which is featured today.  I decided to make her a digital graphic and let her pick the elements.  So here it is below, we made it together.

Free Digital Scripture Graphic
click for larger size, click again
right click and save to your computer


She is a very gifted artist in various mediums and surprised me the other day with a beautiful handmade collage.  Using images of birds, scripture, sheet music, vintage lace, poems by Helen Steiner Rice, leaves and ferns and a gold cross – all things she know I would love.   I was so touched that she would think of me and make me a gift while her own heart was overwhelmed.   She loves to paint the things in nature such as birds and often paints them on rocks and leaves.  



My beautiful collage handmade by Darlene

One of the poems in the collage goes like this:

Through all of creation with symphonic splendor
the Lord speaks with a voice that is gentle and tender
and the birds in the trees and the flowers of spring
all join in proclaiming this heavenly king.
Helen Steiner Rice

Darlene is very touched by those who have prayed for her son, and now her mother.  What a good feeling, that people who don’t even know each other can pray for one another.   I hope you’ve been encouraged by her courageous journey through her son’s cancer and how she has coped by clinging to her savior through the words of Psalm 61:2,4.




23 comments:

  1. What a beautifully inspirational post today Abby. I have a friend who just discovered that she has cancer. I shall share Psalm 61 with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful post, dear Abby! I have prayed for Darlene and will continue to do so. She made you such a lovely piece of art! You made such a lovely piece together! It's important to share a faith so strong! Thank you!...Nancy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to your link party and all the pretty creations linked up here -- thanks so much for hosting it every week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a touching post. I will keep Darlene in my prayers. The card you made for her is beautiful too. -Al

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've experienced cancer thru myself as well as loved ones. It is not an easy road for the patient nor the caregiver. My heart goes out to you Darlene! Prayers will be answered-our Lord promises!

    Isaiah 40:31 got me thru chemo & surgery and continues to keep me strong. Knowing God is in control means everything to a Christan.

    Hugs & love to you. And you Abby-for bringing this family to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abby, this is such a heartwarming and encouraging post. What a blessing Darlene must be to you! It's a wonderful testimony for us to read someone believing and taking to heart God's precious words for strength and comfort. God is good and He is faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am praying for Darlene and her son Luke and this is a lovely post of Scriptures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A really beautiful and encouraging post Abby. I pray for Darlene and those she loves. I have friend whose 8 yo daughter has just started a long 9 month and more journey fighting this cancer of the body - yet how much more serious is the cancer of the soul which is far more deadly if left untreated!
    I have finally fished my piece of work and so managed to link over to you! praise be to God for His help, Shaz in oz.x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abby what a blessing you are to Darlene and what a blessing she is to you! And, you both are a blessing to all of us! Thanks for sharing this wonderful post and showing that through anything we can stand when we have Christ within us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been just *so* busy these last few weeks, Abby, that I have mostly given your blog post a quick "read" and off I go. However, your post today has moved me in so many ways, I had to stop for a moment (or two) this morning to say I will continue my prayers for both Darlene and Luke; him, for healing, her, for strength. I had a brain tumor in 1987, for me it was benign, but there are many things that Luke and I would have shared about this distinction. Secondly, your scripture today is one I have read before, but it has never been as clear as it is today. I especially like this part: "...lead me to the rock that is higher than I." I have a friend with whom I do speak of the Lord, but rarely because she is not very receptive. However, I will share this scripture phrase with her. This, I think, she will grasp...and, hopefully, understand. We all need something to which to cling. I will tell her, "The Lord is my Rock." Hugs, Kay

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, what a beautiful verse! I think that this is the first time I've heard that one. Darlene is such a strong woman! Her trust in the Lord is amazing. I'm nearly in tears reading this post because it is so beautiful. Your graphic is gorgeous as well Abby. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Reading your focus verse this week was just what I needed. That is my husand's and my go-to verse during times of testing & difficulty. I read it in my devotions this morning and reading it in your post was another gentle reminder. God's Word is such a balm to a hurting heart.

    I'm so glad Luke is doing better and understand a mom's struggle to her focus on the Lord when her child is suffering.

    Thanks again for sharing, Abby.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Abby: We're SO blessed to have you playing along this week at Word Art Wednesday and sharing your beautiful work that glorifies our Heavenly Father. You are such an inspiration. Thanks for joining us! I will have my scripture card finished, posted, and linked up by Friday at the latest. LOVE your sweet challenges as well. What a double blessing to make art and get into God's Word at the same time. Hugs!!
    Karen L
    Word Art Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  14. She sounds like she lives by faith! These are nice cards

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful to know Darlene through your post. My mom was diagnosed with tongue cancer three years ago. The doctors then said she had to undergo chemo and radiation, that it would be very painful and very fast. Praise the Lord, my mother chose not to undergo chemo or radiation. Instead she confessed the healing words of God three times a day! In Proverbs 4:22 it says that the Word of God is medicine to our whole body! Indeed it is. My mother did not experience any pain, and the cancer grew smaller. God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful and inspirational example of your friendship.
    Thank You both so much for sharing and encouraging us. I will add Darlene, Luke and family to my prayers.
    Thank You for joining our party too.
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  17. Abby, words cannot express. Thank you so much for sharing Darlene's testimony of her unwavering and growing faith with us. Once again I see how God uses our gifts and creativity to minister so much goodness to us.
    I love her life's hymn and her art is lovely. Love your digital image too.
    That picture of Darlene and Luke is tugging at my heart so much. Reminds me of my own pictures with my son.
    I will most certainly keep all of them in my prayers, including her mom, and will also stop by to visit her.
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful post. Praying for Darlene! All the art is fabulous. {HUGS}

    ReplyDelete
  19. Abby, just a little note to let you know you were the 2-FOR-1 Blog Party featured guest today, day 3. I included your profile pic as I do with each guest featured. I hope this is okay. Today's highlight is encouragement and I could not resist linking it to you. :)
    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just discovered your beautiful blog and read your encouraging words. You, Luke and Darlene will be in my prayers. Your cards proves the beauty that comes out of ashes. You are such a blessing to others.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful card. I love the flowers behind the bird. Saying a prayer for your friend and her son. Thanks for sharing your beautiful card with the Stampin' Sisters in Christ Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Abby,
    You are soooo inspiring and prayers going up for you, Darlene and her son. I hope that you are having a beautiful weekend.
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Abby, It's nice to meet you. I'm one of your new followers visiting from Marcia's blog. I love your sweet gift to Darlene and her beautiful art collage gift to you. Scripture Thursday is new to me and sounds like an up-lifting party. Joyous Wishes, Linda

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.