Friday, September 19, 2014

Little Birdie Sewing Room

 My husband and I live in the church parsonage, beside the church that he pastors.  One of the rooms is where I sew, and keep my stash of craft supplies, surplus paper, and oodles of fabric and items ready to be re-purposed.  This is a view of our church from one of the windows in my sewing room.





I don't know if you've ever heard of Where Bloggers Create, but that is not what you will be seeing here.  I bet you'd love a detailed tour of all the nooks and crannies of this vast room, but you'll have to settle for a few zoomed in shots of what it's like.  First I'd like to introduce you to my plain Jane Singer sewing machine.   It does have some fancy embroidery stitches which I like to utilize.

The cotton cloth covering the table which hosts my machine, makes me happy.  I love the combo of pink and red flowers.  I didn't have to think twice to part with the .25 cents this little gem cost me.  




Next, is pictured a chest of small drawers that my husband made for me.  I keep it to the left of my sewing machine where all my various notions are available.  On the top of the drawers is a fabric flower in a vase that my friend Stephanie made for me.   My mother gave me the glass bird, and the small apple bowl is the smallest bowl from a collection of 6 that I have.  Inside the bowl is a needle case I bought from Dawn at The Feathered Nest.   If you'd like to see where Dawn creates, you can check it out **here**.  Be prepared to be inspired.   



Here are a few pictures of my stash.



A small stack of some of my favorite fabrics



Vintage Sheets

A bin of vintage lace

close up of vintage lace goodness

oodles of vintage buttons



Assorted trims & seam bindings



close up of trims

assorted books about sewing and more

I learned to sew when I was 11 years old, and it's always been something I've enjoyed doing.  My very first blog post written about 4 years ago was about sewing.  You can find it **here**.    Many thanks for visiting here today.

Blessings to you dear ones.

This post is linked to:  The Art of Home-making Mondays


19 comments:

  1. I like your sewing machine, it is really nice. That chest & drawers that your husband made for you is beautiful.
    Thank you for sharing this sweet post today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this article! Read your first one about sewing too. Oh, Abby! I wish I could live near you. You are such an inspiration and a wonderful friend. Thank you for blogging and inviting us in to know you!
    Joyfully,
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a "plain Jane" sewing machine too Abby, but I'd say, mine is EVEN MORE PLAIN! LOL No fancy stitches, not even a button holer! It's OLD!!! But, it WORKS! :) Your chest of drawers IS BEAUTIFUL!!! :) Thanks for sharing your creative space with us! BLESSINGS!!!!!!!!!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Abby, I enjoyed your tour today! p~r~e~t~t~y and inspiring! I would sit on the floor and go through all of your books! ~ and ooh and ahh over your fabrics. I love ***s (stars) so don't need very big pieces. I wanted to ask if the purple spiral Quilting:The Complete Guide is by Darlene Zimmerman?
    Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your sewing machine looks like it has lots of features, to me :) I like your crafting studio and the way you organized things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Abby, look at the lace and vintage sheets! I think I swooned :) haha

    I love your sweet sewing room, my friend :) It's charming and cozy - a perfect place for creating.

    Love and hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I very much enjoyed the tour and I also enjoyed going back and reading your first post. You and I had very different experiences as beginners. Yours was the way it should be. Your sewing room must be a busy happy place and especially at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous post Abby - love the organisation of it, and those laces made me drool - I love lace!
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have a lovely view through your lace curtain. Bits and bobs of sewing supplies are inspiring to have around. Sewing is something I always return to although I'll try other things, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not a seamstress, but I love your yummy fabrics, laces, buttons and trims. Thanks for inviting us in for a visit to your special space.
    Blessing hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your sewing room, Abby! What an inspiring view you have, and I love how organized you are. Wish we lived close enough to compare and share some of our vintage buttons and trims!

    I need to get busy with a couple of sewing projects, but oh! Life has become so busy with looking after my elderly dad that I don't know how I will ever find the time to sew. A few minutes here and a few minutes there, I guess! God is sure to provide the time if it's something I really need.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Abby, I enjoyed this blog post so much, getting to see the things you enjoy and clicking on the links you provided of your friends' blogs as well. It is all so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the picture of the church through the lace curtain. You could put a scripture on there! I have a very plain machine as well. A Kenmore from Sears, 33 years ago. I'm working on my sewing area since I've changing things around here. Enjoyed your post. Blessings, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  14. First I must say, the church through that lace curtain makes for a beautiful picture. I hope to one day sew, and sew well :) with God all things are possible. Blessings Abby

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a joy it was to see your sewing room in our link up!! :) It is a very pretty and peaceful looking space. I think it would be nice to create with all the special handmade treasures surrounding you... I love your vintage goodies too :) Sending a hug your way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, Abby!! What fun to get to *see* the place you spend so much time. You have been blogging a while! :) I am glad to hear the story of your daughter and how her new little one responded to the lullaby music...just so like our God to design us the way He did!
    Blessings to you, dear friend. Have a joyous week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a cozy place to create and I love your view!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful room Abby, I'd like to see some shots of your creations too!
    God Bless!
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  19. It was such a wonderful treat to get a glimpse into your sewing room, Abby. I love the view from the lacey window. Such wonderful inspiration. Love it all. I have an old Elna sewing machine that I haven't used in quite awhile. You may have inspired me to do just that. (but don't hold me to it...LOL)
    Thanks for the tour, Abby. You're always an inspiration when I visit.
    Huggies & Sweet Blessings

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.