Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Kitchen Table Memories


My friend Michele came by last week so I could help her build a facebook page for her blog Living Our Days.  Michele says of her new facebook page and this photo -

"Here's where it all began - at a kitchen table,
like so many wonderful things."


She's speaking of my kitchen table shown above. As I reflected on this photo, I was in awe of all it represented by itself. A print of a famous painting (The Angelus) given to me by my mother. It depicts a peasant couple praying, which serves as a reminder to be thankful for what I have. A pair of pilgrims given to me by my friend Vee as we both have ancestors who came to this country on the Mayflower. My "fruit of the Spirit" bowl given to me by my friend Judy ~ and of course the obvious work in progress over cups of coffee that grew cold before we finished them.

It's so much more than just a table with hand-me-down yellow country chairs, popping against the dark purple fall tablecloth (a thrift store treasure). It's a place where memories are made.

Being a pastor's wife and living in the church parsonage, my kitchen table gets a lot of use. If my table could talk, it would remind me of all the family meals we've eaten there; the times of crafting with grandchildren and friends; the blog posts written; the people we've prayed with; conversations over the endless cups of coffee or tea; friendships formed; bibles studies; weddings planned; babies announced; laughter and tears.

As Michele and I got down to business on our laptops, we shared our knowledge with one another, we laughed a lot (well..I laughed a lot - she's really funny), and we prayed. I learned she likes black coffee (she's a minimalist, I am not). We had a good time, and accomplished much. We made a memory.

Michele recently reviewed the book "The Life Giving Table" by Sally Clarkson, and talked about her own "life giving" table where she and her husband raised and schooled, four boys. 

You can find Michele on Facebook here: Living Our Days
This blog, Little Birdie Blessings is on Facebook here: Little Birdie Blessings

Thanks for visiting, reading, subscribing and commenting on my blog. You're the reason I keep writing. Have a blessed day.

9 comments:

  1. I am following your page on Facebook and will check out Michele's also.
    Good to have friends that shows love and encouragement. I am going today to visit with a close and long time friend.
    Have a blessed Wednesday, Abby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for distilling all that loveliness into words. It's such a challenge for this independent cuss to admit to a need for help with something, but you made it so easy. Your kitchen table taught me that friendship is a grace thing -- and that I will not die if I risk doing a new techie thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Growing up and raising our family, it was a rule, everyone at the table and no negative tanking. It made for peaceful meals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure would love to be able to sit a while at your table over coffee! You are always a big help to me, and I love reading your inspiring blog! I'll be visiting Michele's blog too! Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to be able to sit a while over coffee at your comfy kitchen table! You always encourage and teach me something. I love visiting your beautiful blog! I'll visit Michele's too! Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful post, Abby! I like what you said: "If my table could talk, it would remind me of all the family meals we've eaten there; the times of crafting with grandchildren and friends; the blog posts written; the people we've prayed with; conversations over the endless cups of coffee or tea; friendships formed; Bible studies; weddings planned; babies announced; laughter and tears."

    This is exactly the reason I named my blog "Across My Kitchen Table." So many wonderful things take place there!

    Now I am off to check out Michele's blog ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blessings to you!! It's been a long time since I've visited any of my favorite blogs. Sounds like a wonderful day with a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a cozy, domestic scene with a laptop twist. 🙂 I really like your yellow chairs. Course I love your kitchen. The parsonage has lots of farmhouse style. All of that has very little meaning without the wonderful memories and the hospitality, love, and blessings shared. I am hearing so much about that book! It’s making me very curious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The kitchen table has also been a focus in my home, and even the current one could tell a lot of stories of love and laughter, tears and tantrums, worries and prayers and faith.
    Thanks you for sharing this
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.