Saturday, October 21, 2017

Your Name is Special



My three year old grandson was visiting this week. He looked at me with a slight grin and twinkle in his eye and said "Hi Abby. . . . . .your name is Abby right?" I told him my name was Abby, however he should call me Nana. He knew that, as we'd had this conversation a number of times. He just liked to say it and see if I might have changed my mind.

In the Victorian era, autograph books, like the one pictured above were common as people passed them around for friends to sign and write notes so they would be remembered. You can read more about the history of them here: Autograph Books 

When we think of the names of people near and dear to us, their name identifies them. We associate their name with their character. Their name becomes them. Jesus knows YOUR name my friends. For those who put their trust in Him, your name is engraved on the palms of His hand. Now, that's some serious good news! 

"See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;
your walls are ever before me."
Isaiah 49:16 NIV

The graphic in this post is from my personal collection and is free for you to use for personal use. Have a blessed day.


4 comments:

  1. We loved naming our sons, and now the fun of getting used to a name and connecting it with a tiny person continues with our grandchildren. Our son and his wife have "recycled" names from his grandfather and his aunt with their son and daughter. Speaking those names aloud again is poignant and precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my grandson, now 21, was 3 he actually thought my name was Grandma. I explained to him that his name is Johnathan and my name Is Sylvia, but I am his Grandma. He's a smart child and understand. He still calls me Grandma but sometimes jokingly he'll say "Sylvia" when he wants my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When my 37 year old son was little, he always called me "Bonnie". He didn't have any siblings at that time and had never heard anyone call me "Mommy". It didn't bother me at all but when he was 3, I told him that he had to start calling me "Mommy" because we were going to visit relatives and they wouldn't understand. He slipped once and called me "Bonnie" but after I corrected him, he never did it again. I think I loved hearing his little voice saying my name, and that's why it didn't concern me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember the autograph books. I had one growing up and got nice and silly notes from family and friends. That's sweet that your three year old grandson remembered your name was Abby. I am going to be a grandma very soon and your post made me smile. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.