Tuesday, February 22, 2011

His Eye is on the Sparrow



These little birdies are for you, for your personal use.  The top Victorian card has the original wording "always do your best".  I thought it was just as sweet as it could be, and have had it perched on my bureau forever.  I cleaned up the second image so you could add your own words if you'd like.  You can click on either image for a larger view. 

I recently listened to a devotional by Joni Earekson Tada, which she titled His Eye is on the Sparrow.  You've probably figured out by now, I have a thing for birds.  Hearing this devotional, I was inspired to share one of my favorite Victorian bird papers with you.

Joni referred to Matthew 10:29-31, which reads:
Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.  So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

How awesome is that!!  Our Heavenly Father cares about the little sparrows and sees when they fall.  This scripture is about trust.  We're told here that we are more important to God than a little sparrow.  If He knows what's going on in a sparrow's life, he sure knows what's going on in ours.  He knows he number of hairs on our head.  He's always thinking of us and looking after us.  I want to share with you one of my favorite hymns which sums this scripture passage up in a mighty way.  .

His Eye is on the Sparrow 
by Civilla Martin, 1905

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for Heav’n and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

Let not your heart be troubled, His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;

His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.


Thanks for stopping by my little corner today.  Have a blessed day dear ones and remember, HE cares about the sparrows, but HE cares about you MORE. 

  

2 comments:

  1. I love the little birdie cards and this is one of my very favorite songs. When you think about the words, how could you possibly not be happy! I hope your recovery is going well. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that song! Wonderful post, Abby! Thank you so much for your inspiring words. God bless.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.