Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Study the Word

For the word of God is living and powerful,
and sharper than any two-edged sword,
piercing even to the division of soul and spirit,
and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner
of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Hebrews 4:12
compliments of What Joy is Mine

I came across this little book pictured below, in our attic.  The name inscribed in it belongs to someone in my husband’s family.  It is titled How to Read and Study the Bible, by F.B. Meyer and D.L. Moody.

There are dainty white roses on the cover with a pink background, long faded away.   The cover is scuffed, scratched, and worn.  The book probably has little or no monetary value.  However, the words inside the book, written more than 100 years ago, are timeless gems of wisdom still today.  



I can’t stress enough the importance of being in the Word of God on a daily basis.  I know my life is fuller because of it, and I want you to experience the same.  

If you missed last week’s post, you can find it here:  God’s Letters to Us.   We speak to God through prayer; God speaks to us through His Word, the Bible.  If we don’t read it, we’re ignoring His letters to us; and we won’t know His will for our lives. 

Here are some excerpts from this little book of wisdom that I found:

There is no time for Bible study like the early morning.  For we cannot give such undivided attention to the holy thoughts that glisten like diamonds on its pages after we have opened our letters, glanced through the paper, and joined in the prattle of the breakfast table.  The manna had to be gathered before the dew was off and the sun was up; otherwise it melted. 



 Let the whole Bible be your study; because “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable.”  Even the rocky places shall gush with water springs.  The most barren chapters shall blossom as the rose. 



Let us never forget that the Bible is one Book; the work of one Infinite Spirit, speaking through Prophet and Priest, Shepherd and King.  Let the Bible be its own dictionary, its own interpreter, its own best commentary. 

It is like a vast buried city, in which every turn of the spade reveals some new marvel, whilst passages branch off in every direction calling for exploration.  








Do not read the Bible for others, for class or congregation; but for yourself.  Bring all its rays to a focus on your own heart. 

Let not the Bible be to you simply as a history, a treatise, or a poem, but as your Father’s letter to yourself. 


The advantages of a deep knowledge of the Bible are more than can be numbered here. 

It is the Storehouse of the Promises.  It is the Sword of the Spirit.  It is the all-sufficient Equipment for Christian usefulness.  It is the believer’s Guidebook and Directory in all possible circumstances.

I hope the words here have encouraged you to get into your Bibles.  If you don't have one, you can visit 10 Resources to Obtain a Bible


I am currently doing a study on the book of James.  Additionally, I'm using a Bible Study book by Beth Moore, Living Beyond Yourself (Exploring the Fruit of the Spirit).   Would love to hear what you're studying at this time.   Thanks so much for visiting here.  Please know that all the comments you leave are read, treasured, and appreciated. 





13 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, Abby! Your heart to encourage the passion for God's Word and more importantly for the Lord Himself is such a blessing.
    I'm doing a study called "Gideon - Your Weakness. God's Strength." which is taught by Priscilla Shirer. Just in the first week of the study and already I'm feeling the challenge of digging deeper into God's Word. I can't just read the verses suggested I keep reading and finding myself absolutely fascinated with how God's plan unfolds. Oftentimes it's that extra reading that the Lord uses to help us grow in our knowledge and love for Jesus. My plate is being filled to overflowing!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just what I needed to read this morning Abby! I use to study so much more and have felt the Holy Spirit drawing me recently to dig in! I'm in Colossians for now, savoring His Word, His letter to me, bite by bite.
    Thank you for being obedient to our precious Father God and encouraging all who read your beautifully written blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. John's little epistles 1, 2, and 3 currently as we work our way through the New Testament. Wonderful encouragement, Abby, and what a sweet little book you discovered.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT A TREASURE ABBY!!!!!!!!!! FABULOUS POST!!!!!! I am studying the book of Jude right now. Another Resource for those that want to study the Bible? The NEW INDUCTIVE STUDY BIBLE by Precepts Ministries!:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post Abby! The book is beautiful too! I love the first excerpt you shared...it's a real encouragement to me. I'm a bit of a night owl, but I'm trying to turn my schedule around. The thought of "diamonds" and gathering manna before it melts is very appealing to me.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Abby, I wish I could reach out and give you a warm hug to thank you for sharing this precious book by F. B. Meyer and D. L. Moody! Please keep on sharing these inspiring insights!

    Over the past year and a half an internet friend and I have been reading through the Bible together. We are just taking our time and really absorbing what we read. For my part, after I've read several chapters, I open up my commentary "Thru The Bible" by J. Vernon McGee and read his insights on what I've just read. I learn a lot by reading the commentary, but by far the greater blessing is just having the Holy Spirit speak to me as I'm reading the scripture passages. How sweet the communion is!!

    The best times of fellowship have been when I awaken during the night or early morning hours and get up and begin reading my Bible and talking with the Lord. The house is so quiet and there's nothing to interrupt “our” time together. He fills my heart to overflowing!!

    Thank you, Abby, for your beautiful ministry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Abby,
    .. so agree with your post and the word is the key to our walk with the LORD the love letter from God to us

    love Shaz in oz.x

    would like to share this poem:

    The Anvil of God's Word
    Last eve I paused beside the blacksmith's door,
    And heard the anvil ring the vesper chime;
    Then looking in, I saw upon the floor,
    Old hammers worn with beating years of time.

    "How many anvils have you had," said I,
    "To wear and batter all these hammers so?"
    "Just one," said he, and then with twinkling eye,
    "The anvil wears the hammers out, you know."

    "And so," I thought, "The Anvil of God's Word
    For ages skeptic blows have beat upon,
    Yet, though the noise of falling blows was heard,
    The Anvil is unharmed, the hammers gone."
    —John Clifford, D.D.

    But the word of the Lord endureth for ever... 1 Peter 1:25

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Abby, Thank you for sharing such a wonderful book with us! Its so.... inspiring! Thank you once again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful treasure! The book is lovely on the outside and full of gems on the inside :) Your posts always refresh, uplift, and challenge me in my walk with the Lord. What amazes me is that I can read the Bible every year going over the same verses, but God's Word is always new and often I learn many new things from a passage of Scripture that I already "know." Thanks, Abby :) Have a wonderful weekend.

    Love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a wonderful post, and oh! what a lovely old book! What a find. Thanks for these encouraging words today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a treasure, Abby. I love that first quote, especially.

    May we all be like the Beans-who were commended for searching the scriptures daily and finding out what God's Word says!

    Thank you for such an encouraging post!

    Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what a precious pretty treasure you found. Bless you and thank you for your continued encouragement to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful book! I have become a Google friend connect friend and now following your posts, through discovery on Anne Payne's blog.

    Truer WORDS ~*~Scripture~*~ were never spoken!

    My life verse:
    Psalm 119:111 "Thy testimonies have I taken as an heritage for ever: for they are the rejoicing of my heart."

    Kathleen ~ Lane Hill House

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.