Texting - Either it's a part of your daily groove, or you don't want anything to do with it. My hubby and I are very different in that aspect. He has a plain Jane phone that he flips open to answer when it rings, and closes it when he's done talking. I have taught him that pressing 2 and "send" will automatically call me. He does know how to make a regular call in a pinch.
My cell phone on the other hand is an iphone that does everything except cook dinner. You probably won't be surprised to learn my case has birds on it.
Some time ago, I had a friend going through a serious trial. I thought it would be encouraging for her if I texted a Bible verse every day. I didn't expect her to respond, I just wanted her to be reminded every day that God was with her. Over time I've added others that I text a verse to. They range in age from 15 to 70 and when I text, they all get the same verse.
I thought I'd share with you how I do this and perhaps you have someone or someones that you could encourage by texting a verse to each day.
- The only Bible app I've found that I can copy/paste the verses from is the Olive Tree Bible App. I use the NIV version for the verses I text. I like the simplicity of this app and the ease of finding what I'm looking for.
- After planning my verses I locate them in the app, copy/paste in a text to myself. I usually do a few days ahead and put the day of the week at the beginning of the verse.
- I'm not able to do it every day, but do try to at least 4x week. I try to do it in the morning, but sometimes it's later in the day.
- Be sure you ask the person you're texting if this is something they want.
- Don't text late at night or very early in the morning out of respect for the person you're texting.
- I do not send it as a group text. Each person gets a personal, individual text from me. I cut/paste the verse to each person. It sounds like a lot, but really doesn't take that much time.
- By NOT sending it as a group text, I can think/pray for each person by name, and if someone chooses to respond, it doesn't go to everyone in the group.