Tuesday, September 1, 2015

51 Things I've Learned




Fifty one years ago I was born. Last year on my big 5-0 birthday, I shared 50 things I'd learned over the years. I'm posting that list again and adding one more to it.   I’m certainly not perfect, but as I age, the things on this list are somewhat easier to accomplish or try to accomplish. In no particular order, here they are:



  1. Less is more, keep it simple
  2. Teach children Bible verses at a young age
  3. Sometimes it's better to listen than to speak
  4. Apologize when appropriate, Forgiveness is mandatory
  5. Don't speak when angry
  6. The gas gauge in my car is there for a reason
  7. Things don't matter, people do
  8. Appreciate every day
  9. Have peace, and rest in the promise that God is in control
  10. Look for the blessings each day has to offer
  11. Be a good mother-in-law
  12. Respect my husband
  13. Giving is better than receiving
  14. Don't panic
  15. Help if I see a need and am able to fulfill it
  16. Teach children to be respectful
  17. Be kind
  18. Read my Bible every day
  19. Pray before I make decisions
  20. Children are people too, be respectful of their feelings
  21. Send real mail more often
  22. Don't be judgmental
  23. Take children to Sunday School & Church as young as possible
  24. Compliment others
  25. Don't think of myself as better than others
  26. Don't use social media as a place to get out frustration
  27. Send thank you notes
  28. Think before I speak
  29. Put the needs of my family ahead of my own
  30. Candid photos are sometimes better than posed
  31. Family doesn't have to be blood relation
  32. Be silly with kids, they love it
  33. If I have nothing nice to say, be silent
  34. If it's not my news, don't tell it, text it, tweet it, or type it
  35. Laughter is good
  36. Be content with what I have, don't be jealous of others
  37. Be sensitive to the needs & feelings of others
  38. Don't leave wet laundry in machine more than a day
  39. Give hugs
  40. Patience is a virtue
  41. Don't worry about tomorrow, God is already there
  42. Be Thankful
  43. Don't be surprised with answered prayer
  44. Trust God's will for my life, wholeheartedly
  45. Accept a compliment or gift with gratitude
  46. Reading a book to a child is more important than dishes
  47. Go outside, breathe in God's creation
  48. Don't sweat the small stuff, it will steal my joy
  49. Prioritize family over obligations
  50. Accept help when needed or offered
  51. No prayer is too small, or too big for God to handle. 

    Thanks for visiting my blog today. I'll leave you with this verse that means so much to me.  

    Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go, for to you I entrust my life.  Psalm 143:8




    Have a blessed day ~ Abby

17 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Dear Abby!! May God Bless you today and may this be your Best Year Ever!!!
    Thank you for the 51 things learned!!~Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Abby, for sharing! I love your list! Being about your same age, I have learned some of these lessons, too. Life is too short to stress about every little thing. Simple IS better. Anyway, Happy Birthday, dear Abby! Wishing a year filled with joy and peace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Abby! Your emails are always such a blessing to me, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Abby! Your list is full of good things to remember. Enjoy celebrating you as one of God's unique creations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy, Happy Birthday, precious friend! This list was well-said and you have given me much to think upon. May I print the list out to have it close at hand?

    May you have an extra special day, sweet Abby. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fabulous list filled with all kinds of wisdom. A happy and blessed birthday to you!

    (I am seeing that grin you gave me when I asked your age. ; > I had truly forgotten. Now I must mark it down! )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy, Happy Birthday Abby! May your day and your year be filled with all the good things God has for you. I love the 51 list. I'm going to print it out and post it in my studio. Love in Him, B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Abby! Have a blessed day,you are such a blessing to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  9. HAPPY
    BIRTHDAY!!
    I love your list and what a great idea!!!
    warmly,
    deb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday, dear Abby. May your whole week be filled with shalom and blessings.
    GG

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great lessons. Happy birthday! hugs, teresa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Abby - may you know God's presence, peace and joy in the year ahead.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Belated Birthday, May God bless you with many more!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Belated Birthday!! What a great list and such a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy Belated Birthday Miss Fellow Virgo. Your list is quite wonderful and such a great reminder of what to be thankful for each and every day. Creative Birthday Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Abby -- I LOVE your list!! I've learned (and am learning) some of those same things!! Thanks for sharing - it's always an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are blessings to my day.